Saturday, December 29, 2012

I Finished Another Completely Awesomely Terrific Book

Hey peoples! How's it goin'?
 
Sorry I didn't write yesterday, I was a little busier than usual. I'll just give you an update on my life--whether ya like it or not (or whether ya read it or not).
 
Okay, so I just finished Safe Landing by Tess Oliver--it was a paranormal romance (or so it said--it had paranormal in it, and it had romance, but not really in the way that you would think)
It was this girl--Brazil--who blames her mom for her dad walking out. Now she blames her for them moving away from Boston and to Pelican Bay--in an old house that people say is haunted. She gets there and almost immediately meets Sebastian--a lovesick ghost. He was killed in the 1880's--later in the book you find out what actually happened to him--but before that he'd fallen in love with a girl--Emily. She'd moved to NYC and left him, sending him back his letters unopened. His unfinished business was not knowing if she loved him in the end.
You would think--since it's a paranormal romance that he would forget Emily and fall for Brazil, but it didn't happen like that.
Brazil decides to help him--going out of her way to try and get Emily's diary from its hiding place in her old house. To do that, she has to flirt with the teenage guy that now lives in the house--destroying her chances with the guy she likes--Seth--who is enemy's with the Warner kid.
It was kind of depressing--when she found out about Sebastian's life before he died. He was beaten terribly by his uncle, so bad that he would have to stay in the house for weeks at a time. Later, she thinks the uncle killed him, but he doesn't believe her-- he knew his uncle was bad, just didn't think he was capable of murder.
 
Okay, I will say, this is the first ghost book I've ever read. I never really wanted to read one, but this one was 99 cents on Barnes and Noble's website, so I broke down and bought it out of curiosity.
I loved it, but I don't think I'm gonna read another ghost story for a while--they depress me. Especially since I figured out how Sebastian died as soon as I read that he smelled like almonds--it was pretty obvious to me. Do you know why he smelled like almonds? Cyanide--more accurately, potassium cyanide, which has a faint, very bitter almond taste. I read a short story once and the main character drank tea that had a bitter almond flavor that he didn't like--The Landlady was the title of it.
 
Yeah, call me a sap, but I wished Seth wouldn't have been in the picture, and then Brazil falls in love with Sebastian, then he can end his torture and forget about Emily. But I do like Seth--that's what is sooooo frustrating! I liked Sebastian and I liked Seth! WHY DID SETH HAVE TO BE SOOOOOO AWESOME? WHY?! WHY?! WHY?! Yeah, I'm obsessing, but who cares? My Random Book Obsession is the title of the blog for a very good reason.
 
Anyways, back to life. I got to go bowling today--and I had a lot of fun. I didn't bowl as well as I would have liked--157, 105, and 147 (my average is in the high 140's)--but it was still pretty fun. The lanes were really dry, so I had to purposefully miss my mark to get the ball in the pocket. I didn't get as many strikes as I would have liked, but I did get a butt-load of spares, so I'm pretty satisfied.
 
I did win the bet with Bailey, if you didn't read any earlier entries from this week. I memorized as many elements off of the Periodic Table of Elements as I could, which turned out to be 118. My memory is FABULOUS! I can say 120 decimals of pi too--3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169339375105820974944592307816406286208998
628034825342117057982148086513282306647--and you can check it.
 
That's pretty much it for me, since you probably couldn't care less about my life--you probably only care about the book info. Yep, so I guess I'll let you get back to your life, and I'm gonna go read another cheapo book.
 
Thanks for tuning in and reading all of my randomly obsessiveness on books, pi, and other random stuff.
 
Bye. Stay geeky!

No comments:

Post a Comment